How to Keep Bees, Ants and Wasps out of your Hummingbird Feeders!

July 27, 2010

Every summer Duncraft Customer Service answers this question the most:  “How do I keep bees and wasps (and ants) out of my hummingbird feeders?  Actually, there are lots of tips that may help you solve this problem.  Keeping ants out of your hummer feeders is fairly easy.  All it takes is a way to prevent ants from climbing down the hanger and into the feeder.  This is easily accomplished with an ant moat–a cup of water between the hanger and your feeder.  When ants crawl down the hanger, they must cross the watery moat to continue to the feeder.  Ants don’t swim well!  They will not attempt to cross the water–and if they do they will drown. Shop for ant moats at Duncraft!

Bees and wasps are another story.  We have compiled our own article about this problem and have provided you with links to other articles so you can get great information all in one place!  Good luck!

How to keep bees out of your hummingbird feeders

How to keep bees out of your hummingbird feeders · To go to duncraft.com–click here. Wasp. If bees or wasps are a problem, getting in to the nectar or preventing your hummingbirds from feeding, try these tips! Use a hummingbird feeder

Publish Date: 09/29/2009 13:22

Controlling Hummingbird Feeder Pests: Ants, Bees, And Wasps

The same sugar solution that attracts Hummingbirds to your feeder, will also be attractive to ants, bees and wasps. Not only will they drink,

Publish Date: 07/18/2010 20:04

Youtube

Watch these crazed bees at a hummingbird feeder. Hope your problem isn’t as bad as this one! Here the problem is most likely that the sugary solution was dripped onto the feeder while filling it and the bees followed the trail. Make sure the feeder has no sugar on the outside of the feeder!

Invasion of bees on hummingbird feeder

For the last several days we have had a honey bee invasion on the hummingbird feeder that hangs on the front porch. It is HOT and DRY here, the bees are searching for nectar and moisture where ever they can find it.

Kathy August 7, 2010 at 10:16 am

Lightly spray the product “Pam” (it keeps food from sticking to a pan) on the feeder around the holes where the hummingbirds feed. The bees won’t be back, but the only thing is, “Pam” leaves a residue and it’s difficult to get off. The “Pam” does NOT affect the hummers!

Tacycrals August 20, 2010 at 7:17 am

Very Interesting!
Thank You!

pj September 8, 2010 at 2:43 pm

I would NEVER spray Pam on a hummer feeder!

Duncraft September 8, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Kathy mentioned only lightly spraying, not coating the feeder. You don’t need much but it does work and so does olive oil. You just need the slightest film and bees and wasps won’t land on it. I’ve watched the bees approach, but then they leave. Only the hummingbird’s beak enters the feeding port and they don’t seem to touch the surrounding “flower” at all.

bnorton August 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I tried all the previous mentioned remedies but none of them worked to I combined these. I have 5 short, cheap hummer feeders around deck in which the wasp and yellow jackets had taken over. I removed the yellow parts of the feeder as someone suggested, but I also had a yellow “bee feeder” (one that they can crawl in but not crawl out) and I put that in the middle. Within 30 min. they had left the hummer feeders and had gone to the yellow thing and started to drown. No expensive humzinger, it works.

Elizabeth September 3, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Thank you for the tip about using Pam on Humming Bird Feeders to keep the Honey Bees and Wasp off the feed. It REALLY WORKS!!!!!!
THANKS AGAIN

Janie May 14, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Just tried the Pam tip and it worked! I sprayed some in a bowl and then used my finger to rub some on the port.

Magilla July 12, 2012 at 10:33 am

Don’t drown honey bees…….find every way possible to help them survive. Life as we know it on this planet depends heavily on their work…if they survive we survive.

Jackie July 15, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Yes, PLEASE DON’T DROWN THE HONEY BEES!! There are so few honeybees left, that we don’t even have any where I live (Arkansas). But we do have WASPS EVERYWHERE!!
If you still have honeybees in your area, DON’T USE BEE TRAPS!!

Ria September 2, 2012 at 9:29 am

We have had a similar experience w/the bees as the video this year. We were just so grateful to see that many healthy bees we let this go on for the last two weeks. Our Hummers are pretty intrepid & have been feeding more at dusk, I will say I did whack the wasps that showed up. But, more to the point, since TD Isaac has finally passed, our ground is now well soaked & green is returning to our landscape, I feel it is time for the bees to be off doing their bee jobs. So I took the following steps:
1. Washed our feeders in very hot water mixed with vinegar (to erase the chem tags telling the various insects “There’s food here!”) actually I let all the pieces soak for about an hour in the solution.
2. Removed the various yellow “flower” pieces. (they were looking faded & somewhat sorry anyway)
3. Reduced my usual feeding mixture from heavy syrup to about a 3.5-4:1 ratio
4. Coated the plastic body where the bees & wasps congregated with olive oil.
5. Moved all the feeders to new spots (most shaded).
So far the Hummers are back, en force, fighting amongst themselves & feeding like winter is upon us.

carol September 8, 2012 at 1:16 pm

i read about using pam or rubbing olive oil on the feeder, i just used some pam with olive oil and the bees/wasps are flying around but not landing anymore. thank you so much for your help. we were getting so many bees and wasps i was afraid to sit on my own front porch, plus we have 4 dogs and i didn’t want them to be stung either. thank you again. it does not seem to be hurting the insects. grateful from murphy, NC

Susan September 12, 2012 at 1:57 pm

To keep bees away, could I wrap a dryer sheet around the pole of the hummer feeder? I have heard that bees do not like the scent of dryer sheets.

Henry E. Tegtmeyer September 26, 2012 at 9:42 am

Thanks for the great tips. We’ve had a nuisance type of problem mostly with wasps and some earwigs. The earwigs manage to get into the liquid and drown. There are a few bees ‘working’ the flowers in the yard but, not
very many. They don’t come to the hummer feeders. Summer is over here,
in northern Illinois, so the hummers will be leaving soon. We will certainly
be trying everyones’ good advice next summer, 2013. Also, good advice,
from the comments: Don’t do anything to harm the honey-bees.

Valeria Rogers March 28, 2013 at 10:43 am

The honey bee problem isn’t just for hummingbird feeders. My neighbors honey bees get inside and takeover 2 regular bird feeders with seed. They are after the sugar in the corn that’s part of seed mix.

Mary April 10, 2013 at 9:19 pm

We got rid of the feeder with yellow on it and problem solved….for some reason the just didn’t even attempt to use the all red feeders.

Sandy February 8, 2014 at 4:48 pm

We live in the Rio Grande Valley and we have hummers a few hummers that stay year round. I went a few minutes ago and my feeders were covered in bees. I had to spar the feeders with the hose so I could get the feeders down. I am going to try these tips in hopes to keep the bees away. Thanks