“The Best” – The Squirrel Buster Plus, Duncraft’s #1 Best Selling Feeder

July 27, 2011

What does it really mean to be “the best” when it comes to bird feeders? Is it defined by the number that are sold? The effectiveness at resisting squirrels? The versatility of how it can be used? Or is it something else? However you choose to define it, though, it’s clear that the best feeder we offer is the Squirrel Buster Plus, Duncraft’s most popular bird feeder.

Let’s look at all of these qualifications to see how the Squirrel Buster Plus is the best at what it does. From a sales standpoint, no other bird feeder can top it – it’s Duncraft’s #1 best selling feeder. It’s hard to argue with those numbers, and yet – WHY is the Squirrel Buster Plus our best selling feeder? Why is it so popular with birders everywhere?

These reasons have a great deal to do with both its effectiveness at resisting squirrels, and the versatility of its uses. The Squirrel Buster Plus is extremely effective at thwarting the efforts of squirrels – both red and gray – and even bigger birds to steal the seed inside. It’s equipped with a weight-sensitive metal skirt that fully circles the bottom of the feeder. When a squirrel or larger bird sits or hangs on to the perches attached to this skirt, it immediately drops and cuts off access to the six feeding ports.

Speaking of cardinals, the Squirrel Buster Plus also includes a feature designed especially for them. The detachable “cardinal ring” allows cardinals to have extra perching room around the weight-sensitive skirt. Not only that, but it also lets them face their food supply – the feeding position that cardinals prefer.  If you choose not to use the cardinal ring, each of the 6 perches can then be twisted in and shortened to further discourage large birds from feeding there.

As for that “something else” – it could be the shapely design of the Squirrel Buster Plus, the extreme durability, the ample seed capacity, or maybe even something unable to be put into words. Whatever the case, it’s undeniable that the Squirrel Buster Plus is a fantastic bird feeder and nothing less than “the best” that Duncraft offers.

By Sean Peick (Guest Writer)

Did you like this article? “Like” us on Facebook too!

Lorna July 27, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Will it allow flickers to feed, or are they too large?

Marty July 27, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I have several Squirrel Buster models in use in my yard. While the mini and Classic have had there share of raids by squirrels, the Plus is left alone. Squirrels don’t stand a chance against it.

I should mention the mini and Classic proudly display their battle scars, but have never given up the goods. lol

Great products!

Duncraft July 29, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Hi Lorna –

So far as I can tell, the Squirrel Buster Plus should be able to handle flickers. Happy Birding!

Alana August 10, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I have only seen flickers a few times but the times I did they only foraged on the ground on my patio looking for insects. I didn’t realize a flicker would come to a seed feeder. It is a great feeder though and definitely will solve the squirrel problem.

Soovivers September 9, 2011 at 10:47 am

I bought the mini squirrel buster and had such high hopes that it would keep the squirrels away from the food. Within the first few hours the feeder was on the ground – they had somehow gotten it off of the hook. I got out the duct tape and taped it on so it wouldn’t come off. That helped but it seems like all of the squirrels and crows in the area swarmed onto the feeder and the poor birds didn’t have a chance.

The squirrels would get on the limb where the feeder was, jump on the feeder and loosen food until it fell to the ground. Then they would eat it and repeat. I started out the day with a full feeder but ended up with about two inches of food left in the bottom. It wasn’t the birds that were eating – it was the squirrels and their antics.

I also felt sorry for the blue jays because they were too heavy for the feeder and we all know how they love a sunflower seed…

I still may buy the regular size squirrel buster and see if that will outsmart the squirrels – so far no feeder I’ve bought has – and that is about ten different squirrel proof feeders. I think there is hope.

Carrrie October 5, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I just now saw this blog post about the Squirrel Buster Plus. We’ve owned one for over a year now, and the squirrels haven’t yet managed to get any seed out of it yet. (Although it can be entertaining watching them try!) Late one night recently, we heard a commotion on the patio where the Squirrel Buster Plus is located. We peeked outside, and we saw a rather chunky raccoon heading for the feeder. He stood up on his back legs, reached as far as he could, and batted that feeder around like a pinata! But for all that effort, he only got about 5 seeds to fall out, and he gave up on this plan after a couple of fruitless minutes. Given our experience, we would call this feeder the Squirrel and Raccoon Buster Plus!

Audrey Pettingill October 14, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I have been searching for a squirrel proof humming bird feeder. Any ideas?

Roxanne--Duncraft October 14, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Hi Audrey,
I don’t think there is a squirrel proof hummingbird feeder, but you can try to make yours squirrel proof. Try hanging it out on a tree limb and putting a bit squirrel baffle over the top so they can’t get past it. Try the item # SB5. It’s huge and they can’t really get around it.

Jeanne Schneider October 16, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Jeanne Schneider October 16, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I live on the third floor of a high scale retirement apartment building. I’d like to attract Goldfinch to my balcony, but I need a feeder that will not have seed being spilled down on the ground below because the management says they attract mice etc. I need a feeder that can have a tray under it of some size to prevent this. Any ideas how to make this?

Roxanne--Duncraft October 17, 2011 at 8:17 am

Jeanne,

This is the best product we have for catching seeds:
There is a smaller one too, but I’d recommend the bigger one. It should work with just a regular tube feeder or Nyjer sock:

Helen Rehn November 6, 2011 at 12:36 am

I would like to know if this feeder fends off chipmunks.

M September 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Don’t the squirrels just hang upside down and avoid the skirt?