Cole’s Hot Meats–No Squirrels, Just Birds!

April 26, 2011

Mine, all mine!

Tired of squirrels raiding your bird feeder?  They can can clean out a feeder in no time.  And it’s so exasperating to watch them parked there,  gulping down the bird food while your birds get nothing.  You spent good money on bird seed, but until you get rid of the squirrels, you won’t see many birds.  Hmmm,  maybe it’s time for a little change!

Our customers have been asking for a squirrel-repelling bird seed and we responded. Cole’s Hot Meats are pure sunflower hearts–the seed that attracts the most backyard birds. But these seed meats have a twist–they’re coated with safflower oil and concentrated habanero chili peppers. Habaneros are among the hottest peppers in the world! Cole’s also makes hot Cajun Cardinal seed and Flaming Squirrels that you can add to your own bird seed.

Whoa, that was some hot bird seed!

When you see a squirrel after he gets a taste of Hot Meats, you might even feel sorry for him as he twitches, shakes his head, sneezes, rubs his face and dashes to the bird bath for a long drink of water.  But don’t worry–the burning sensation does no harm at all and eventually goes away. But one thing’s for sure–he won’t try that again!

Why does hot pepper keep squirrels away, but doesn’t bother the birds?  It’s simple really.

The chili pepper plant has evolved over time to be attractive to birds, but distasteful to squirrels.  When a bird eats a chili seed, the seed

Don’t eat that bird seed–it’s so hot, it’s scary!

remains intact and passes through to the bird’s droppings where they are spread over a wide area, helping to distribute the plant.  But the digestive tracts of mammals destroy the chili seeds.  So, as a defense mechanism, chili plants taste hot to mammals and act as a repellent, while birds can’t taste the heat at all.

If you have a lot of squirrels, each one will have to taste the seed to know its effect.  But one by one, your squirrels will be gone for good!

Did you like this article?  “Like” us on Facebook too!

Shop Duncraft!

Iva November 30, -0001 at 12:00 am

They really do work I have tried every thing else but these get the job done

Carol W April 27, 2011 at 11:07 am

We have used hot pepper on the bird food from Duncraft and our squirrels just kept on eating it. I have purchased every kind of deterrent and feeder I can find for the bird food and still have the squirrels tear up the feeder or eat the feed. I bought the plastic stick on the window feeder and a day after putting it up two squirrels were sitting in it eating. I have the pull down spring feeder and the green steel feeders and all have been broken by squirrels. I give up.

I have a picture of twelve squirrels eating in my yard at once but can’t see a way to upload it to Duncraft.

Adrianne April 27, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Would this work to repel white winged doves too? We have too many and they are aggressive to the other birds. They crash against our windows and have even broken one this year. We also have lots of squirrels and are looking forward to trying this method.

R. Brune--Duncraft April 28, 2011 at 8:17 am

Hi Adrianne,
No this wouldn’t work for doves. Birds can’t really taste or smell very well at all. The doves would just eat it up like any other bird.

R. Brune--Duncraft April 28, 2011 at 8:21 am

Hi Carol,
You can’t upload pictures to our blog, but you can to Facebook. Maybe the pepper you’re using isn’t hot enough. And window feeders aren’t squirrel proof. It just sounds like you have too many squirrels if you have12 at once! I have a platform feeder up on a 4 x 4 post with a 4 x 4 post baffle and the squirrels can’t get around that baffle. Maybe something like that would work for you.

Kathy Nichols June 13, 2011 at 5:34 pm

We purchased a “dove cage” and doves can’t get to the feeder. The cage is a wire cylinder that slides over the tube feeder and prevents doves from being able to reach the seeds. Other birds, to include blue jays & woodpeckers, still can feed.

Miracle July 6, 2012 at 8:51 am

It is highly effective in reducing the number of squirrel visits at the feeder. I searched a contest for this. And hope there are somebody interested with this. http://thecelebritycafe.com/contests/win-1-4-coles-wild-bird-feed-prize-packs

Jennifer July 23, 2012 at 8:37 am

I love this bird seed! It is the only thing that has ever worked for me to keep the squirrels from eating all my seed and destroying my feeders! Now, my birds eat in peace, I have cardinals, red-winged blackbirds, and lots of other pretty birds. I stored my seed in a plastic container on my deck and a chipmunk chewed his way into it to get the seed. he was trapped inside it until I saw him. You should have seen his face, his eyes were squinted shut from the hot seeds and his mouth looked all puckered up. I set him free and he’s never come back!