Why is this cardinal flying into my window (car mirror, car bumper, etc)?

March 22, 2012

Spring is here and once again, Duncraft is receiving lots of calls about a strange, but very common phenomenon–cardinals repeatedly flying into windows, car mirrors or any other reflective surface.  Other birds have been reported exhibiting the same behavior–bluebirds, robins and wrens to name a few.  What is going on and how do you stop it?

CardinalmF12

Although female birds have been known to do this, it’s mostly male birds that repeatedly fly into windows.  The reason is simple.  In spring all birds are staking out territories.  Birds seldom allow other birds of the same species to share territories because too many of one species in an area depletes food sources and nesting locations.  A cardinal may tolerate a catbird nesting nearby because the birds are after different nesting locations and different foods, but it won’t tolerate another cardinal.  When a male cardinal spots another male, a chasing fight will ensue.  The dominate male gets the mate, the nesting location, the territory and the food in that area.  A lot is at stake!  When a cardinal happens to see its reflection in your window, or car mirror, it’s seeing another bird in its territory–and that’s not allowed.  The bird will continuously attack until the other bird goes away.  In nature, the other bird will indeed go away, but that reflection just stays there!  Being persistent, the cardinal just continues to attack its own reflection.

Cardinal male on branch

So, how do you make the bird stop?  All you have to do is block the reflection. The easiest way to do this is to put a piece of cardboard on the outside of the window where the bird is attacking.  It may not look pretty, but you don’t have to do it for long–only until the bird thinks the other bird has departed. As soon as the bird is mated and is busy with nest building and feeding nestlings, he’ll calm down and won’t be worried about intruders.  Other cardinals will be busy too, in territories of their own.

So, what initially seemed like a mystery turns out to be a simple, springtime response to another bird–and it’s easily remedied!

Check out these other articles about this very common problem…

Why does this bird keep flying into the kitchen window? | Cardinal Bird

There is a male cardinal who has been hanging out by, and repeatedly flying into, one of my kitchen windows for months now. He sits in the branch of a sapling.

Publish Date: 02/11/2012 19:02

Fallen Cardinal | Cardinal Bird

If you do find a bird who’s hurt themselves by flying into your window / sliding door, the best way to? take care of them is to put them into a dark area in a box with air holes and let it rest for a while. Don’t disturb them too much. After a few hours,

Publish Date: 03/11/2012 5:09

A Mother and A Daughter: A Persistent Cardinal

A Persistent Cardinal. This past fall we had a cardinal that would fly into the glass of our back door every single day. He would show up as soon as the sun came up and perch on the back of this chair. He made a BIG mess! He would sit there for a while and chirp away. Then he would look at I did have the same problem and was tired of finding little dead birds from flying into my patio three panel window. The ribbon relects the sun and scares the birds away from the

Publish Date: 02/16/2012 7:00

{ 1 trackback }

Children's Tough Questions - Mothers Circle
October 9, 2012 at 11:29 am

dana April 10, 2012 at 8:31 am

We have a nuthatch that’s going crazy at the windows. At first my daughter thought someone was knocking on her door.

richard December 6, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I have read all about Cardinals flying into windows repeatedly but it sounds like that is because they nesting and are territorial. I have a female cardinal doing that now in December????

Marilyn December 26, 2012 at 2:33 pm

A bird was constantly flying into the window of the 5th wheeler in the RV park in Phoenix for several days – until I blew a whistle three times near the window in question. Like a miracle it worked!!! The bird flew away and has not returned (fingers crossed).

Jan December 31, 2012 at 2:01 pm

We are being frustrated daily by a female cardinal repeatedly flying into our family room window….over and over. From what I have read here, it’s a territory thing and she thinks she is seeing another bird. It’s December and not Springtime. Following the tips here, I have now put up a piece of butcher paper over the window. My husband also blew a VERY loud air horn within several feet it and she immediately flew away. We are now sitting here to see if she will come back. The male cardinal just hangs around in the tree outside the window and watches the female bash herself into the window over and over. He does not participate in the ritual. Fingers crossed that this poor frustrated female does not come back.

Chris February 22, 2013 at 12:15 pm

It is 2/22/13 yes spring is on the way. We have had a female red bird flying into our windows that r on our back porch which we rarely go onto. She began this morning at about 8am slamming into the back door cause we covered the window she was slamming into with a car board. It was very frightful for me to see her slamming into the back door which leds into my bed room. It alarmed me due to all the old tales saying it was a sign of death to come. Well i became alarmed for the bird cause i don’t believe in the tales but i was worried that the bird would kill itself cause it was slamming so hard. My husband went out and covered the back door with black plastic, she came from so far away and i don’t mind her nesting near by just don’t want her to hurt herself. why r the females becoming so aggressive? I could see if there had been a male around to show off for perhaps but i saw only her. But she returned to the porch after my husband covered the door and now she just sits and pecks the window above our air conditioner and tweets i hope that she will be ok. She slammed those windows really hard and kept on for about a week till we thought to cover the windows. Then i found this site i’m glad i did. It has taken a lot of worry off me.

Tara March 29, 2013 at 1:38 pm

This morning as I was leaving the dr’s office I heard a bang on my car window. I looked out & see this res cardinal repeatedly flying straight into my window- I took about 4 minutes of great footage where you can see the bird up close. After a while I decides to take off & before I left it can my front windshield to say goodbye.

Colleen May 9, 2013 at 8:43 am

I have a neighbour whose insistent on putting mirrors up on her fence. I have seen a bird on SEVERAL occasions attacking it (this goes on for hours). I fear this little guy will get hurt and have taken it down, more than once. The mirror gets replaced the very next day!!! I have not confronted her as I really don’t know if there is something I don’t understand, everything I have read tells me this is a no no!!! Please help

Tom December 28, 2013 at 4:32 pm

This bird starts every morning at 7 a.m. He is a dove. I put an owl on the fence that seemed to work for a while. But now it’s back. Driving my cats crazy. I’m going to try the paper to stop the reflection. I live in central Phoenix.

Richard December 29, 2013 at 10:03 am

We also have a male cardinal who repeatedly flies into our bedroom window. It is December on Cape Cod, so I’m curious what might be causing this behavior since it’s not mating season. It starts every morning around 6:30 or 7:00 and goes on for at least an hour that I know of. Not sure if it continues after I leave the bedroom. The female just sits in a bush nearby and watches him. I will put up cardboard to see if that resolves the issue as I’m concerned that the cardinal is going to hurt himself. I’d be very interested in what is causing this behavior at this time of year. Thank you.

Kelly April 15, 2014 at 1:49 pm

We have a female cardinal that follows us around the house. She knows where I am in the house & she sits on the window ledges, as if to say hello! When she sees us moving in the house, she flies to the nearest window – never attacking – but just saying hello. The male sits nearby & watches. We named the female Ruthie, after another female cardinal that did the same thing. See this blog: http://psychicjoystar.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/my-bird-story-devoted-female-cardinal-tapping-at-my-windows-and-my-childhood-parakeet/

Fran A May 1, 2014 at 7:36 am

The cardboard is great advice. Our problem is that the birds are bumping up against several different windows on our first floor and one on the second floor. It’s hard to anticipate where the next bumping will occur. Will try though to deter; it’s just so sad to see and hear them at our windows.

Rhonda May 2, 2014 at 6:50 am

How long do I leave the window covered?

Julie Baker May 5, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I have a female cardinal constantly flying at my window and multiple times a day. She did the same thing last year at this very same time. Hoping she doesn’t hurt herself, but it is very entertaining. She sits on the windowsill and pecks at the glass. Was wondering why she even started. The lilac bushes almost cover the entire window. Glad I’m not alone on this.

Faith May 19, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Julie, I’ve seen male Cardinals do this. They see their reflection and they think it’s a competing male. I believe it’s a territorial thing.

Wanda May 23, 2014 at 5:45 am

I have a red cardinal repeatedly flies into our bedroom and bathroom window for a month now. I heard about the old tales about death not sure if I believe that or not. Two people have cancer in the family. I am afraid the bird will kill itself. I cover the windows that doesn’t work. I don’t know what to do.

Nini June 29, 2014 at 7:50 am

We have a cardinal knocking on our window):
We didn’t put anything up.
But it stoped…for now